Mini Piñatas for Ramadan and Eid <3
I l o v e piñatas. Love. They are so much fun to smash open and of course eat the candy inside 😉 These mini piñatas are so fun and cute! But if you want a the kids to have a piñata to smash at Eid you need a bit one, these are way to tiny for that. I keep mine as decorations but if you want to use them in the true piñata-spirit (and fill them with candy) make a small opening so the kids can open the piñata without breaking it.
What you need
Free printable template (download below)
Cardboard (very thin! I use old cereal boxes)
Tissue paper or crepe paper
Scissors or x-acto knife
Glue (white glue (skollim)
How to make the piñata
1. Download and print my pattern. Cut out the mosque, star, moon, lantern* or heart shape.
2. Trace the pattern onto the cardboard. Two pieces per piñata, one for the front and one for the back.
3. Cut long strips of cardboard about 3-4 cm wide (depend on how wide you want the pinata to be). You might need several of these.
4. Tape the edges of the shape vertically, remember to leave a portion if you want to fill it up with candy. Continue all around the edges.
(At this point you may want to thread some string in your piñata if you’d like to hang it.)
5. Tape the second shape on top.
6. Cut strips of tissue/crepe paper at 2-3 cm, then cut fringe in it.
7. Glue fringe along the side of the piñata then start at the bottom of the piñata and glue on the fringe horizontally until you cover the whole thing.
*If you make the lantern mini piñata – Cut out the small shapes in the template from cardstock paper. Glue to your lantern.
Some useful tips
I use white glue (skollim) and I mix it with a little water, just a few drops, I use a brush to ad the glue on the cardboard. I know some use the gluegun but I think it’s unnecessary, the tissue paper is so thin it dries fast with the white glue, it doesn’t become so heavy (yes, a lot of glue will make it very heavy) AND it goes so much faster to glue.
When you have glued all crepe/tissue paper on the pinata, just wait 5-10 min for the glue to dry and the cut of the paper hanging out on the sides.